Plan Your Visit
For more information call 217-586-2612.
March 1 to Memorial Day
Daily 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Memorial Day to Labor Day
Monday – Saturday
10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
and Sunday 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Labor Day to December 31
Daily 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Closed in the months of January and February and
Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Easter.
No admission fee for individuals and families, donations appreciated.
Groups of 10 or more need to schedule a visit at least 2 weeks in advance. (See Groups).
Free and accessible.
Front desk staff are available during all open hours (see complete list above). Other museum staff are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. except CCFPD holidays.
Visit our Satellite facility! Click here to learn more about the Homer Lake Interpretive Center.
Come and visit our new building (finished in early 2013). We'll be happy to give you a tour and show you all the ways we serve the public!
To safeguard you, your family, and your belongings as well as the exhibits and artifacts of the museum certain behavior rules apply. For a complete list click here.
The museum is located at 950 North Lombard, Mahomet IL 61853. Google Map
- Traveling east on Interstate 74--Take Exit 172 (This is the exit for Gibson City, Mahomet, and Illinois Route 47). Go north (left) about 1/2 mile to the entrance to Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve and turn right. Make another right turn into the museum parking lot.
- Traveling west on Interstate 74--Take Exit 172 and go north. DO NOT take Exit 174. Although you will see a sign for Lake of the Woods Park and the Early American Museum at Exit 174, the most direct route is to use the next exit, which is Exit 172. Go north (right) about 1/2 mile to the entrance to Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve and turn right. Make another right turn into the museum parking lot.
- Traveling east or west on Interstate 72 -- Take Exit and go north. This is the exit for Mahomet and Illinois Route 47. Stay on Illinois Route 47 as it turns through Mahomet and it will bring you to our doorstep at the west edge of Lake of the Woods Park.
- Traveling north or south on Interstate 57 -- Take Interstate 74 West at the edge of Champaign then follow the instructions above.
- Traveling north or south on Interstate 55-- Take Interstate 74 East at the edge of Bloomington then follow the instructions above.
Group tours, bus tours and senior tours are available March though December.
Groups larger than 10 people are requested to call the museum in advance of your visit. It may be helpful to read the Group Tour brochure before you call. You will need to fill out a Group Tour application form and submit it.
Group Tours for Scouts will find special guidelines here.
Contact email@example.com for more information.